DC Comics Rebirth: Top Picks and All You Need to Know
All you need to know about DC Comics' upcoming Rebirth event and top picks to get
With mediocre storylines and two reboots in the past five years, DC Comics had to do something drastic to reverse direction, for the better, in the company. This February, at ComicsPro, in Portland, OR, DC announced at aggressive plan to relaunch and reinvigorate the DC brand of comic books to appeal to newer and long time readers. At the event, DC was quick to admit to their past mistakes and blunders, and presented the audience a publishing, editorial, and creative plan that could very likely grow sales and reenergize DC fans for the years to come. Many of the event’s attendees stated, after the event, that DC listened to the retailers and the fans, and responded positively. This is a good sign, going forward.
What is DC Comics' Rebirth?
The Rebirth event is essentially a “Relaunch” of virtually all DC Comic Book Titles. According to close sources, each comic title will be releasing a Rebirth book during June 2016 and will continue with the relaunch, onwards. Supposedly, the introductory Rebirth book will recap things for new readers and/or establish the new status quo of the new stories.
What We Know So Far
As far as logistics and money goes, the comic books will be shipped bi-weekly @ $2.99 a piece. This is a strategic decision made by the head honchos at DC Comics to drive up foot traffic to comic shops, while also increasing purchase frequency. In other words, a lower price of $2.99 would entice comic fans to buy more DC comics in a shorter (bi-weekly) time frame. This benefits consumers because they will get more story for their money, while the stories and characters will develop faster, in a more timely manner. Incentive variant covers will be available for virtually all titles, at least for the beginning issues.
Cancelled titles: Batman/Superman, Superman/Wonder Woman, Grayson,Starfire, Black Canary, Midnighter, & Doctor Fate
Some note-worthy titles/creative teams:
- Detective Comics — James Tynion IV
- Harley Quinn — Amanda Connor & Jimmy Palmiotti
- Nightwing — Tim Seely
- Deathstroke — Christopher Priest
- Flash — Joshua Williamson
- Green Lanterns — Geoff Johns & Sam Humphries
- Cyborg — John Semper, Jr.
- New Super-Man — Gene Luen Yang
- All Star Batman — Scott Snyder & John Romita Jr.
- Batman — Tom King
- Batgirl & The Birds of Prey — Julie Benson & Teela J. Brown
- Wonder Woman — Greg Rucka & Liam R. Sharp
- Suicide Squad — Jim Lee & Philip Tan
- Trinity — Francis Manapul
- Justice Society of America
- Teen Titans
According to some sources in the Internet, The Justice Society of America may reintroduce some interesting characters, such as Mr. Terrific and/or some of Geoff John’s other past creations. Nightwing could have a sidekick, who may, most likely, be either Cassandra Cain or Bluebird. The whole Rebirth event will be very “Multiverse Related”. Specifically, there will be more room for creators to add the DC Extended Universe (DCEU), which includes the movie and TV world, to the multi-Earth comic book Universe.
Many retailers and industry experts expressed great excitement for the new comic book creative teams, particularly for Wonder Woman. The preview art from Liam Sharp and Nicola Scott has created some real buzz about Wonder Woman, at a time where everyone is craving for some awesome Wonder Woman storylines. Many fans were extremely pumped for a female Green Lantern. Definitely, there was a lot of enthusiasm for the new Justice Society of America title. Superman as a family man, married to Lois Lane, with a son seems interesting. Fans are sad to see Midnighter cancelled. Most fans are eager to see Damian Wayne as the Teen Titans’ new leader. Comic book enthusiasts also expressed interest in the new Trinity title.
- BATMAN: REBIRTH # 1 & Batman #1: First of all it’s Batman! In addition, Tom King is co-writing this title with Scott Snyder. Snyder is one of the best, if not, THE BEST writer to ever brace the pages of the Caped Crusader in the New 52. Tom King worked with Tim Seely on Grayson in the New 52. So, Mr. King definitely knows a thing or two about Gotham and the Bat Family Universe.
- DETECTIVE COMICS #934 & #935: Detective Comics is reverting back to its original numbering. James Tynion IV, who recently worked on Batman Eternal and Batman & Robin Eternal, seems to have a very interesting take on the whole Bat Family world. The two titles featured very prolific conspiracies, which involved the entire Batman Family working together. All we know, for now, is that Batman, Tim Drake (Red Robin), Cassandra Cain, Batwoman, and Clayface are involved in the first story-arc, which should be very interesting.
- WONDER WOMAN: REBIRTH #1 & WONDER WOMAN #1: Greg Rucka has a way of highlighting trivial things that may seem uninteresting and bring them to life, when he writes. Some of his works include The Hiketeia, No Man’s Land, Star Wars: Shattered Empire, and Batwoman Elegy. Rucka is known for his ability to write a good story. It should be very interesting on how he will portray Wonder Woman in the coming months.
Books For Background Info
Batman #567 – 1st Cassandra Cain, Amazing character who could be playing a big role in the future Bat Family
Batman: Son of the Demon #1 – 1st Damian Wayne, Son of Batman
Birds of Prey: Black Canary/Oracle (Vol 1) #1 – 1st Birds of Prey
Detective Comics #647 – 1st Stephanie Brown, aka Spoiler…could play a big role in the Detective Comics Series
Green Lantern (Vol 5) #20 – 1st Jessica Cruz, Lead Female Green Lantern
*Keep in mind the value of these books could be rising really soon
Originally published at henrykwongcpa.com on April 24, 2016.